One of the biggest criticisms of the Meta Quest 2 VR headsets, when they launched, was that you needed a Facebook account to be able to use them. All your game save and purchase data was linked directly to your social media account and that meant if something happened to that account, you’d lose everything.
I never saw it as too much of an issue, but there are loads of people who like to protect their information and don’t want to use Facebook, those people can now experience one of the best consumer VR platforms on the market because now you can use a Meta Account that links to your personal email or your Facebook.
Meta accounts give you more choice when it comes to how you log into VR and whether Facebook and Instagram are part of your VR experience. When you set up a Meta account, we’ll migrate your existing information (including apps, achievements and friends) to this account so you can dive back into VR.
The video above gives you a good understanding of how this new account works.
But to get started, visit the website or open the Oculus mobile app. To ensure a smooth migration experience, update your device and Oculus mobile app with the latest software.
Unfortunately for some people, you may be required to factory reset your headset if you set up a Meta account without first updating your headset, so defiantly try to update the headset first.
How to Update Your Meta Quest Headset
I like to have auto-updates enabled, but if you prefer the manual method this is what you do.
- make sure your headset has a significant charge (full if possible)
- Keep your headset turned on.
- Keep your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest connected to Wi-Fi.
- Leave your headset on a flat surface without moving it or blocking the inside sensor for an extended period of time.
- Press the “Oculus” button on your right Touch controller to pull up your universal menu.
- Hover over the clock on the left-hand side of the universal menu. When Quick settings appear, select it to open the Quick settings panel.
- Select the Settings Cog in the top-right corner.
- Select System, then select Software update from the left menu.
From here, you can check your current software version. If a new version is available, a button to download the update will appear. If it says its the latest version you are ready to go set up your new Meta account and link it.